Dear Mr. Allan Wagner Tizón.
Ambassador of Peru in The Netherlands,
The Hague, 9th. of june 2009
The following people and Dutch organizations in solidarity with Latin America, want to express their deep concern regarding the bloodbath of Indigenous people on the morning of Friday 5 June in Bagua, area of Corral Quemado and Curva del Diablo in the Peruvian Amazon. We are outraged with the dozens of dead and wounded people on both sides, mainly members of the Indigenous People Awajun.
WE DEMAND AN INMEDIATE HALT TO THE STATE VIOLENCE BEING WAGED AGAINST INDIGENOUS PEOPLES IN THE PERUVIAN AMAZON AND INSIST THAT THEIR RIGHTS BE RESPECTED.
We demand, in solidarity with organizations in Peru:
- The respect of and compliance to the Convention 169 (ILO) and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples signed by Peru, that includes the self-determination of indigenous peoples. Our indigenous brothers and sisters have the right to determine their political condition and to decide on how natural resources (including the subsoil) should be allocated for their economic, social and cultural
development. The consultation of indigenous people by the Peruvian government is, in this case, not only a courtesy, but an obligation to uphold the right to free, prior and informed consent of Indigenous Peoples.
- To denounce and cancel the Free Trade Agreement with the USA. It is through this agreement that the APRA government intends to impose a model of plundering and irresponsible consumption of our resources that undermines the national interests in favor of a corrupt business sector that has a record of environmental damage, plundering and exploitation of native people, and played a part in bringing about global warming and the world economic crisis.
- The immediate abolition of all unconstitutional Law decrees.
- The lifting of the State of Emergency in the Peruvian Amazon.
- An immediate end to the persecution of social leaders, the criminalization of social protest and the criminal charges against
Alberto Pizango (the main leader of AIDESEP) for conspiracy, rebellion and sedition.
- AN INMEDIATE HALT TO THE STATE VIOLENCE BEING WAGED AGAINST INDIGENOUS PEOPLES IN THE PERUVIAN AMAZON AND RESPECT FOR THEIR RIGHTS.
- Prosecution of those responsible for the massacre.
We demand that your Embassy pass this denunciation on to the Peruvian government and with the declaration that you are against the above mentioned violations of human rights.
- Organización Autónoma de Jóvenes para América Latina, Ojalá
- XmenosY Fondo de Solidaridad
ICAD (Comite Internacional contra las desapariciones forzadas y la
- FIAN Holanda
- Aseed Europe
- HIJOS Holanda
- Mapuche Foundation-FOLIL
- Fundación Centro Latino Americano en Amsterdam.
- Carbon Trade Watch
- La Revista Klasse